Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Women
My reaction to the role of women in Germany throughout the centuries was one of surprise. I'm not surprised that women were persecuted and denied rights, but what I am surprised about is to what extent it was carried out and for how long. Talking about the "three K's" sounds like the beginning of a sexist joke. The forced sterilization came as a big shock to me, I found out later that Germany was not the only place to do this but it was still shocking to learn about. Since those days, Germany has come a long ways; from the entering of women into the workforce, to the gaining of voting rights, all the way up to the first female chancellor. Things may have started out much worse and strict for women, but it seems as though rights and equality for women has progressed much faster in Germany that in other countries such as ours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment